A nice summation on the alt luxe look, via an interview by the fab Sarah Lonsdale of Remodeslita with Richard Ostell. Bottom line:
- Form follows feeling: the incredible importance of emotion in design
- Trust your intuition
- Design for now
- Mix different textures
- Use humble materials: “Pare down to the essence, but don’t remove the poetry.” Love that quote from Leonard Koren’s book Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers.
- Surround yourself with the real deal
- Balance old with new
- Stick with a neutral palette
- Mix styles. “But don’t do it just for decoration.” Yes.
- Practice restraint. “Know when to stop.”
Rules to live by for more than interior design, I think. More images and text over on Remodelista.